Is your child stuck on a word?
Try a coaching prompt. It’s more than sounding out…..
- Look at the picture. Can it help you?
- Now get your mouth ready with the first sound in the word.
- Think of what word would make sense that starts with that letter.
- Still stuck? Look for chunks in the word that might help you read it
(i.e. a chunk in bat is /at/ so you can read it b-at.)
- Try skipping over the hard word and reading to the end of the sentence. Now go back and re-read. Keep thinking about what word would make sense in that sentence.
- When you think you know what the tricky word is, cross-check your reading by thinking:
- Does it make sense?
- Does it look right?
- Does it sound right?